Joel Smith joined Bennett Thrasher in June 2012 as the firm’s Controller. He is responsible for financial reporting and analysis; overseeing day-to-day accounting operations; accounting policies and procedures; budgeting and forecasting; banking; insurance; and regulatory compliance.
Joel began his career as Controller of a commercial construction company. He then moved on to SunTrust Bank, where he was responsible for the accounting, analysis, and compliance of the bank’s non-operating real estate, which consisted of about $400 million in property. He left SunTrust to become a Fund Controller in Morgan Stanley’s real estate investing group, where he was responsible for the financial and investor reporting of a $3 billion real estate fund.
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance), Kennesaw State University
- American Institute of CPAs (AICPA)
- Georgia Society of CPAs (GSCPA)
- Buckhead Baseball
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- GA Center for Child Advocacy
- The Westminster Schools