Chris Roane, Director in Bennett Thrasher’s Dispute Resolution & Forensics practice, recently co-authored an article for the American Health Law Association on the performance of IRO Arrangements Reviews as it relates to Corporate Integrity Agreements (CIA). Chris and fellow article author Jeffrey Wilson, SVP and General Counsel for Lexington Medical Center discussed the core requirements of CIAs and some tips for effectively navigating IRO Arrangements Reviews. CIAs typically require healthcare organizations to establish the following components:
- Written policies, procedures, and standards of conduct;
- Designation of a compliance officer and compliance committee;
- Conducting effective training and education;
- Developing effective lines of communication;
- Conducting internal monitoring and auditing;
- Enforcing standards through well-publicized disciplinary guidelines; and
- Responding promptly to detected offenses and undertaking corrective action.
The article also includes some important considerations and best practices for managing contracts with healthcare providers. To view the full article, click here. Subscribers of the AHLA can also view the article online here.
Bennett Thrasher’s Dispute Resolution & Forensics practice assists healthcare organizations with regulatory compliance, governmental investigations, litigation support and more. To learn how we can help, contact Chris Roane by calling 770.396.2200.